LUCEA TOWN

Capital Town of Hanover

Get Adobe Flash player

Welcome to Lucea Hanover

Paris has the Eiffel Tower, New York the Empire State Building, Rome The Colossus, London House of Parliament with Big Ben and Lucea has its Town Hall with a Chimming clock. This is a scene of Lucea (St. Lucia) facing the Townhall(old Court House) which was built in 1820. Notice the clock at top, that was meant to be installed for the island of St. Lucia, maps of the period shows the spelling as st. Lucia.

The Town Hall was used as a Court House and offices for the Parish Council (local government) it is seen in the movie "Cool Runnings"

The mile markers for all roads leading out of Lucea to within Hanover and into other Parishes, starts in front of this building, they all indicate "To" or "From" Lucea in mileage. Road maps showed highway A1 to Kingston and B9 to Savanna La Mar.
Hanover (capital Lucea), is a parish located on the northwestern tip of the island of Jamaica. It is a part of the county of Cornwall, bordered by St. James in the east, and Westmoreland in the south. With the exception of Kingston, it is the most peacefull parish on the island. Hanover is the birth parish of The Right Excellent Sir Alexander Bustamante, one of Jamaica's seven National Heroes.

Hanover Parish

Lucea, the capital of Hanover Parish, was once the home of the famous Captain Bligh who lived here after the Mutiny on the Bounty. Lucea Parish Church which dates to the 1700s. Its real name is the Parish Church of Hanover and may have been erected on the ruins of a Catholic church built during the Spanish occupation of the island. There are baptismal records from 1725 and burial records from 1727. An 80-foot steeple was cracked and then removed after a 1957 earthquake. The church organ dates from 1891 and there are interesting tombstones in the graveyard. It is rumored to have a tunnel leading to the nearby Fort Charlotte

Tourism

Lucea boasts many clubs and parks as well as the historical attractions, and museum. Lucea's most popular dance clubs that attract both tourists and local people are the 300 Club, founded in 1955, Green Dragon, and Border Line. The Tryall Golf, Tennis & Beach Club sits on a 2,200-acre (8.9 km2) property outside Lucea, and is Hanover's most exclusive resort.

Lucea lies between two of Jamaica's most prominent resort cities, Negril and Montego Bay, but has yet to capitalize on the thousands of tourists that pass through. Jamaica Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett has said he will announce plans for designating Lucea as a resort destination. Bartlett said:

The designation will give Lucea certain privileges and will also allow for us to look at the resort's planning development, which other resort towns are getting and so Lucea will be able to join Negril, Montego Bay, Ocho Rios as properly planned resort centers.

Since that statement Grand Palladium, part of a Spanish hotel firm, has erected a new 1600 unit luxury double resort called the Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort and Spa / Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. And other smaller businesses such as Pedro's Point Villa run by Bavarian Princess Kirsten Krause have opened in the area as well. The "real" Jamaica is available at a modest price to world travelers.



Geography and demography

The capital town, Lucea is located at latitude 18°25'N, longitude 78°08'W. The parish has a mountainous terrain, with the coastline marked by coves and bays. Hanover covers an area of 430 km2. The highest point in the parish is the Dolphin's Head, which serves as a landmark for ships at sea. The parish has three small waterfalls, several coves along its coastline and large caves. In the centre of Lucea stands a clock tower. Though it was installed in 1817, it is still fully functional.

The parish had an estimated 67,176 inhabitants in 1999, 5,739 of which live in its capital town with its Mayor. The majority of the population is black which has a percent of 92.1%, 0.8% whites, 3.7% of asians, 2.3% of latins and 2.1% of other.

FORT CHARLOTTE- Fort Charlotte was built in 1761 to defend Lucea harbor which was in danger of attack by French raiders but was never used. It was named after Queen Charlotte, the wife of King George III, the reigning monarch at the time, and was outfitted with 23 cannons.The fort stands on a peninsula with a wonderful view of the harbor and the bay;





New Block